A very good question, what is The Liebster Award?
The Liebster Award is an award that exists only within the digital world. It’s given to bloggers who are nominated for the award by other bloggers. It was founded by Jack Henry, from The Global Aussie, in 2011.’
The Liebster Award takes place each year, starting on the 1st January and ending on the 25th December. A winner is then picked on the 31st December.
What makes me passionate about blogging?
For the past 4 ½ years I have been living a semi-nomadic lifestyle. I come back to the UK to work to make some money before jet setting off for a couple of months at a time to explore our beautiful planet.
Until this year it hadn’t even crossed my mind to document any of my travels and adventures. It was from friends suggesting to me that I should blog about how I was a thirty-something who escaped the rat race in exchange for a life filled with adventure and that people wanted to see and hear what I was getting up to when I wasn’t in the UK, so my blog, BackpackBecki was born.
I have the mammoth task now of delving into the archives of 4 ½ years travel across 46 different countries, where everything is stored on memory banks, shoe boxes and notebooks
Blogging has been great so far to be able to share my adventures with not just friends and family, but others too. I’ve been able to share loads of my experiences in the form of photos, videos and stories from all over the world. It’s also given me the perfect excuse to re-live my adventures again.
10 Random Facts About Me
- Since I was little I’ve been obsessed with dinosaurs.
- In 2002 I became a vegetarian, simply because I couldn’t stand the taste of meat.
- I am a qualified dance teacher and while travelling in Malaysia I ended up teaching a dance class in Kuala Lumpur.
- Hummus and peanut butter are my food addictions – but not together!, I can sit and polish off a whole tub in one sitting.
- Sticky Toffee Pudding is my secret weapon – I make the best ones in the universe 🙂
- My first degree was as Model Maker for Film and Television (so I’m a dab hand in the workshop!) but hated the dog-eat-dog industry. I then did a Post-Grad and retrained as a school teacher specilising in art and design.
- Betty Boop is my favourite cartoon character, I love the quirkiness of the vintage cartoons.
- I have uneven ribs, the ones on the left-hand side are twisted on top of each other, my party trick is to get my hands under them and pull them out.
- My absolute idol is David Attenborough, the man can do no wrong!
- As a child my favourite book was ‘My Cat Likes to Hide in Boxes’ or anything by Dr Seus.
Backpacking Series Asked Me....
- What inspires you to do what you do?
I have always wanted to travel, I don’t think I’ve ever really been someone to conform to social norms and expectations. There is so much to see and experience in the World that for me, it would be a death sentence to be stuck in the same job, in the same city and not get to see anything of our beautiful planet.
- Which foreign language would you like to learn and why?
Spanish, without a doubt. A couple of reasons, first I love Latin America and have visited loads of countries which are Spanish speaking but have only managed to get by on my VERY limited knowledge of the language. Although I enjoyed my time out there, sometimes I would be nice to be able to communicate with the locals much more efficiently. Also, my sister lives in Madrid, with her Spanish boyfriend. It would be nice to be able to speak to him and his family fluently.
- If you were to write a book, what would you write about?
I would write a book based on the life experiences of thirty-somethings (or anyone in general) who escaped the norm. I think to many people get wrapped up in expectations of the western world – eg, go to uni, get a job, buy a house, get married have babies – it’s all a bit formulaic and although there’s nothing wrong with that, so many people don’t follow their dreams because it doesn’t fit in with what society expects of them.
- If you were given only one superpower (make yourself invisible, the ability of flight, etc.), which one would you choose and why?
The gift of foresight – not necessarily to read minds and to know what people were thinking, but more for the ability to see when bad things would happen.
- Its the year 2100. As a 25 years old, you are on a month-long vacation. Where would you backpack to and why?
Somewhere which is as far away from civilisation as possible.
- Aisle seat or window?
It depends on the flight if its short-haul then I prefer the aisle seat. For long haul then the window seat.
- Black, green, or milky tea?
Either, I got used to drinking my tea black when I loved on my own as my milk would always go off before I drank it. I drink a bit of green tea, but only if it’s very weak.
- Do you wear your left shoe first or right?
Both, I don’t think I have a preference.
- Complete the sentence – Life is a box of chocolates ……
‘…you never know what you’re going to get’ by Forest Gump.
- What is one life skill that travellers should possess?
To not stress about the small stuff, things have a way of working out.
- What’s one advice to bloggers, you would offer, that starts with “Always…”?
Always be genuine, don’t be fake. There are enough fake people in everyday life. I want to hear and read about the real stuff that happens on your blog and not just rose-tinted-glasses versions of it. If you didn’t like somewhere, or something didn’t quite go as planned then tell it as it is, with all the details. I want to read about real life – I can use Facebook if I want to see filtered and fake lives.
My Nominations for The Liebster Award 2018 are....
I wish you all good luck in your blogging journeys and with The Liebster Award nomination. I’m looking forward to hearing your answers to the questions above and seeing your blog grow over the coming months and years. Please let me know when you publish your Liebster Award nomination post, as I’d love to read it.
11 Questions I want to ask my Nominees
- If you could be any animal for a day, what would it be?
- What is your least favourite food and why?
- What do you prefer? Mountains? Beaches? Forests? or Cities? And why
- If you could spend an afternoon with anyone, dead or alive, who would it be and why?
- What is your most embarrassing memory
- What did you want to be when you were little
- Best country you’ve visited
- Do you have any phobias?
- What are your best three personality traits?
- You’re at a bar, what drink do you order?
- If you only had one 24 hours left alive, what would you do with it?
The Official Rules of the Liebster Award 2018
Each blog can only be entered once. There is no rule that you MUST accept a nomination, however, if you choose to accept your Liebster Award nomination, the following rules must be adhered to:
- Thank the person who nominated you, and put a link to their blog on your blog.
- Display the award on your blog — by including it in your post and/or displaying it using a widget on your site. Award images can be found here.
- Write a small post about what makes you passionate about blogging.
- Provide 10 random facts about yourself.
- Answer the 11 questions that the person who nominated you asked.
- Nominate 5 to 11 blogs that you feel would enjoy blogging about this award.
- Ask your nominees to answer 11 questions of your own choice.
- List these rules in your blog post. Once you have written and published it, you then have to:
- Inform the people/blogs that you have nominated, informing them of their recent nomination for the 2018 Liebster Award. You should provide a link for them to your post so that they are fully aware of the award.
- Post a comment in the comments section of the official Liebster Award 2018 announcement, so that your post and your blog can be officially judged.
Keep spreading the love, and I look forward to hearing from you